Digital Literacies: Before and After

Digital Literacies: Before and After

 

In this post I will like to take a light-hearted approach towards Digital Literacy.  My PBL group discussed many approaches and its consequences of becoming digitally literate.  Based on the first scenario that was posted, I will like to imagine the scenario as an advertisement for the "Before" and "After" of Digital Literacy, in as much as the advertisements that we are familiar with weight loss regimens or products.  I will also like to portray the state of mind of the person in each of these "Before" and "After" posters.


The "Before"


 (Source: https://www.claritychi.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AdobeStock_95703483-scaled-2048x1366.jpeg)

State of Mind

  • I have little experience of online courses.
  • I am unable to find my way around websites and am incompetent with digital tools. 
  • I think other participants at ONL212 are smarter than me.
  • I feel stupid about asking questions and really do not know how to seek help.
  • I am afraid to create a learning blog and have it published on the web.
  • I fear for my privacy.

 

The "After"



 (Source: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wealthywebwriter/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/27114046/project-confidence-208089676.jpg)

 

State of Mind

  • There are no such thing as stupid questions.
  • I am just as smart as others in ONL212, but I may be a little inexperienced.
  • ONL212 is just another course.  I have successfully completed so many other courses in the past.
  • If my students can do it, I can always do better.  Perhaps, it will take a little longer.
  • My PBL group mates are fantastic.  They can help me with my questions.
  • There is an online community that I can also approach regarding my queries.


Concluding Remarks

The transformation from "Before" to "After" has been well discussed in our PBL group and perhaps in other groups as well.  This blog only examines the beginning and end states of this transformation. 

Comments

  1. I really like the way you introduced the problem of online education. I agree with what you wrote and it feels like many people, even teachers, are still stuck in the "before" stage. Online classes are challenging, but with a little willingness and support, you can achieve excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Please also excuse my tardiness in acknowledging your comment - my only excuse is that I had been trying to keep up with my blogging. I have completed those and now am focusing on the comments.

      My personal experience is that when I was in the "before" stage - everything felt overwhelming. The transition to the "after" stage was definitely hard, but was fun as I was able to learn new things and more importantly, I was able to appreciate the new way of doing things. I believe that I am in the "after" stage - but that is not a final stage. To remain in the "after" stage will also require continually upgrading. Otherwise, we will soon find ourselves in the "before" stage once again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slow down in order to go quickly!!!

Teaching Students to Drive their Brains!!!